• Duration : 3 Years – Six Semesters
• Level : Graduation
• Eligibility : A pass in Plus Two or Equivalent exam with Physics Chemistry, Mathematics or Computer Science.
Bachelor of Computer Applications (B. C. A.) is an undergraduate Programme to start career in computer science. It provides sound academic base from which an advanced career in computer applications including the latest developments keeping pace with the industry can be developed. A degree in BCA is at par with a B.Tech/B.E degree in Computer Science or Information Technology.
What after BCA?
You could give an instant thrust to your career by pursuing MCA(Masters of Computer Applications) after BCA. However, there are other options too that you could consider doing after completing your BCA degree:
• Prepare for CAT and go for an MBA in IT Management
• Complete your Master’s degree by studying MSC(IT)
• Go for a networking diploma and prepare for CCNP or CCNA certification
• Prepare for Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) Certification or Redhat certifications and work as a System Administrator or Desktop Technician or Help desk Assistant.
• You could also improve your teaching skills and work as a computer teacher/instructor in school, universities and colleges
• If you are good in web programming then improve your coding skills and make your career in Web Development. You can also work as an independent web designer.
• A lot of BCA graduates also go for government jobs. You could consider one too.
Career Prospects after BCA:
The IT industry is growingly rapidly and with this the demand for BCA graduates too is increasing every passing day. After obtaining a BCA degree, students can find lucrative job opportunities in leading IT companies like Oracle, IBM, Infosys and Wipro. Some of the roles that one can bag after completing a BCA programme is that of a System engineer, software tester, junior programmer, web developer, system administrator, software developer etc.
BCA graduates are not only recruited by private sector but also by public sector organizations. Government organizations like the Indian Air Force(IAF), Indian Army, and India Navy hire a large bunch of computer professionals for their IT department.
As far as the salary is concerned, a fresher working for a leading MNC might get a salary ranging from Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 40,000 per month. However, it was reported that IT giants like Facebook, Microsoft etc pays a six figure salary to a fresh graduate.